Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Saturday, December 24, 2016

December 24 - Saturday of the Fourth Week of Advent

The Canticle of Zechariah

The Gospel reading for today, is sometimes called the “canticle of Zechariah.” The father of John the Baptist, Zechariah and his wife, Elizabeth, have quite the back story. Earlier in Luke, the angel Gabriel appeared to Zechariah, announcing that he and Elizabeth would soon have a son, and they would call him John. Astonished, Zechariah questioned Gabriel, because both he and Elizabeth were advanced in years. In fact, Elizabeth was post-menopausal! I do not blame Zechariah one bit for doubting Gabriel. But, because Zechariah did not immediately believe, Gabriel rendered him mute (speechless) for about 9 months. 

How devastating this must have been for Zechariah, who, as a priest, was not able to preach during this time. I can relate to Zechariah’s plight. As a Cathedral singer, I would have been absolutely shattered if this happened to me. Would my reaction be as gracious as Zechariah’s? Although he must have been frightened, and frustrated, Zechariah put his faith in God, and persevered in doing the Lord’s will. 

When the baby arrived, Zechariah was still mute. But, when he and Elizabeth named the baby “John,” immediately Zechariah was able to speak. Zechariah’s “canticle,” follows, in which Zechariah blesses God, welcomes the Savior, prophesizes his son John’s role in the salvation narrative. Zechariah’s actions remind me to be grateful for the plan God sets before me, even though that plan might be different than my own. He reminds me to say “yes” to God.

Dr. Christine E. Lawless 
Cathedral Singers 
HNC small group facilitator

No comments:

Post a Comment