Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Sunday, December 11, 2016

December 11 - The Third Sunday of Advent

Patience

During Advent when I was a child, my mother had to constantly preach patience to me, as I could not wait to rush through Advent and arrive at Christmas Day, so I could play the latest Atari video game I was given as a gift. My mother also had to remind me that Advent was really the time of year to be patient-to wait in great anticipation for the greatest gift-the coming our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

In today’s Second Reading from the Book of James, we are all reminded of the importance of patience. 

“See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it, until it receives the early and the late rains. You too must be patient.

This passage reminds me of the many times that I was not patient with the Lord as I asked for His help during challenging times. In fact, many times I have missed “the early and the late rains”, the many gifts the Lord continues to give me (His love, the love of others), in order to make it through my life’s difficult situations.

During the remainder of the Advent season, be patient with the Lord. Think of all of the challenges that you are facing, and truly appreciate the amazing gifts He is already providing. 

Just as the farmer waited, will you too wait patiently to receive the Lord’s precious fruits?

Michael Cozzi
Year of Mercy Pilgrimage participant

No comments:

Post a Comment