Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

December 14 - Wednesday of the Third Week of Advent

Keeping in mind what is important

As I reflect on the first reading from Isaiah, Ch. 45, it makes me think about the importance of trusting in God and having faith that he will lead us. It also reminds us to attempt to avoid the distractions of life. We must point our compass toward the Lord and not be distracted.

I recently got back from Holy Name’s Pilgrimage to Italy. Before going on the trip I felt nervous about what the experience would be like. Would this trip be too religious? Would I like the people I traveled with for 13 days?

But as this first reading said: “Turn to me and be safe, all you ends of the earth, for I am God; there is no other!” 

By the grace of God, I put my trust in him that the trip would be rewarding and the experience would be memorable. Sure, I worried about whether I packed the right items or if I brought enough Euros. But I got on the plane and put my faith in God that this experience we saved up for would live up to my hopes. 

And it did.

What made the pilgrimage special wasn’t necessarily the sites I saw or the souvenirs I purchased. It was the friendships I made and the memories we created as one group on this unique and special journey. The trip truly changed my life for the better and strengthened my faith not only in God, but in those people in my life.

And I think that is what God promises us in this reading – if we put our trust and faith in him we will find life’s rewards, sometimes when we least expect it.

Olivia Silver
Parish Pastoral Council Chair, 
Extraordinary Minister and Docent

If the idea of a pilgrimage appeals, consider joining Fr. Brad Zamora and Jennifer Delvaux on pilgrimage to Lourdes, Spain, and Fatima this summer. Details can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment