Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Sunday, December 18, 2016

December 18 - Fourth Sunday of Advent

God is with us

In today’s gospel according to Matthew, the reading is about a virgin named Mary who is to give birth to Jesus. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel, which means “God is with us.”

As I reflect on this reading, I am drawn to the words “God is with us”. How is it possible that God is with us at all times? What does this mean? 

To me it means that through the gift of holy baptism, I have been initiated with the Holy Spirt who lives within me challenging me to get rid of old sinful ways to become holier each day that I live. This involves deep faith and focus on hearing God’s voice and not the world’s. It involves daily reflection and reconciliation.

St Joseph and Mother Mary were deeply aware of the living God who speaks to us as we live out our lives. Their blessed awareness and affirmative response through faith in God’s voice is the reason “God is with us”. 

Paul Mettler
RCIA sponsor

No comments:

Post a Comment