Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Saturday, March 5, 2016

March 5 - Saturday of the Third Week of Lent

I Desire Mercy not Sacrifice

In today's reading I am reminded of our Holy Year of Mercy during this Jubilee year.

We can ask ourselves where as sinners do we begin to learn of God’s mercy. If we meditate on this reading and research the scriptures, can we reach some clarity. 

In my experience of meditating on the reading I arrived in the following scripture. In Matthew 9:13 “Go and learn the meaning of the words, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

It begins by acknowledging myself as a sinner, of looking inward and finding our faults. This is reinforced in Hosea 6: 1-6 by examining one’s heart do we begin to learn to walk humbly with God. The reading hinges on having a contrite heart.

When we attend mass who are we being? Am I the Pharisee or the tax collector?

If we humble ourselves, we can begin to know the Lord. His mercy will come to us like Spring rain. 

In this season of Mercy, let us recall the Penitent Thief and remember to ask for forgiveness and extend forgiveness unto others.

Reflection by: J.G.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment