Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Monday, March 21, 2016

March 21 - Monday of Holy Week


“He shall bring forth justice to the nations,” starts Isiah in the first reading for the first day of Holy Week. He then exhorts all of us to seek justice, not with shouting and preaching but with our lives. How is justice manifest in our lives? 

Recently, as I returned home from the University, the cleaning people were already in my condominium as I was late and the concierge let them in. A mother and her teenage son were working diligently. The short Mother did all the eye level work and the son did all the high level work. I noticed he had ‘cleaned up’ around my computer and was horrified. His Mother could see the expression on my face and apologized. No one ever touches anything near the computer! They continued cleaning and got all their work done. As they were leaving I thanked them and apologized for my reaction about the computer. I gave the Mother a tip and asked where the son was. She said he was already out in the hall. I gave him the same tip I gave his Mother and he said: “Wow, you’re really fair!” Thanks, I need ear plugs. The look on his face was that he was for once treated justly. 

Justice is sometimes difficult to mete out. Our own perception sometimes blocks our sense of justice. We sometimes hear: “ I had to work hard for what I have, ‘they’ should too!” Today, let us remember Isaiah’s exhortation to bring justice to our world as Christ did. What can I do at my work or at home to be just to the people I interact with? When someone is unjust to me on the road or at my work desk or on social media what is my reaction? How can I be a just disciple of Christ?

Professor Eileen Quinn Knight, Ph.D
Extraordinary Minister, Faith Formation, RCIA team member, Lector, facilitator of Mercy in the City small group

No comments:

Post a Comment