Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Profiles in Mercy: Pay It Forward


To forgive offenses willingly takes courage, the same courage Stephanie McIntyre believes is needed to be a CHRISTian and a Catholic. It takes strength to extend forgiveness, let alone be the one to forgive even before someone says “I’m sorry.” As Catholics, we are asked to forgive all offenses and not just those we are ready to forgive. The strength comes through us, by the grace of the Holy Spirit.

You have probably seen Stephanie in liturgical ministry roles as Lector, Extraordinary Minister, the leader of the Cathedral Altar Server ministry or active member of the Faith Formation Commission. She seems to be everywhere, praying, listening and encouraging us to embrace a more merciful way of living.

A parishioner since attending the parish Cathedral school as a young girl, Stephanie is a “cradle-Catholic.” Devoutly, Stephanie heard the call from God to step out of the pew and actively “grow CHRIST’s Kingdom” during a pre-Lenten homily from her friend, Monsignor Dan Mayall.

A constant beacon of optimism, she encourages us to lean into our faith every day, especially when faced with doubt, worry or wound. “Each day is a new day. I smile, even though I may hurt, because I know GOD is working in me.”

I AM a sinner and a servant.

I AM a leader, and a follower; an organizer and a communicator…..and a unifer under GOD…..all for His Glory.

I pray first. Prayer changes EVERYTHING! I pray for the Holy Spirit to cover and guide my thoughts, my words and my actions. I try to observe, listen, discern, then respond with CHRIST-like Love. I AM still, so that when GOD calls, I AM able to BOLDLY OBEY. Whenver, whatever, wherever, how ever, because I have faith I will receive the grace that strengthens me to do His Will.

I live my life so that those who know me but don’t know CHRIST, yearn to know CHRIST because they know me.

Perhaps a coincidence, Stephanie is an expert thurifer, the one who carries the thurible, bringing incense to the altar for the archbishop or priest to venerate, bless and sanctify. For the rest of us, to get incensed more likely means to “make very angry,” often times a slow burn.

When faced with a difficult situation, Stephanie adopts a calm respect for the other’s point of view, letting her eyes and ears see and listen…and sometimes step away to pray. “Faith in GOD gives me the power to walk away when temptation wants me to sway.”

Her advice is to forgive unconditionally, to pray and keep moving forward– accepting that God’s purpose isn’t always understood. “Be kind to ourselves and others by looking at every interaction as a gift from God. Realize that disappointment and hurt are inevitable, and perhaps discouraging, but never give in.”


Many of us are in awe of the incredible forgiveness demonstrated by the victims’ families of Emanuel AME Church. Stephanie points out that forgiveness heals everyone. “It wasn’t just the killer who was forgiven. Forgiveness is a healing ointment for those who have been hurt. People say “I could never do it” but once said, you have made your choice and it won’t happen.”

Given her extraordinarily positive approach to life, I asked Stephanie if she ever gets upset with someone else – she laughed. “Yes I do, but I have learned to respond by respecting and reflecting that everyone is not like me.”

Her advice is three-fold: patience, prayer and perseverance. Forgiveness isn’t a single act but rather an ongoing process allowing us to move on and pay it forward. “Keep your eyes on The Cross and your focus on His Cause.”

So no matter what happens, pause, pray and say:

GOD Bless You and Thank You Very Much!

No comments:

Post a Comment