Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Visit the Sick


Visit the Sick – what comes to mind when you hear this phrase? I have to admit that, until recently, I had not considered exactly what it means to me. My first thoughts were to the Ministry of Care, those who visit, pray, comfort and bring Communion to people in hospitals and rehab centers who are unable to come to Mass. But upon reflection, there is so much more to visiting the sick. 

Is there a relative or neighbor who is housebound, for whatever reason? Can they use your help or companionship? I was on the receiving end of this several times. Years ago, I had had foot surgery, and was unable to drive; a neighbor’s young son stopped by daily to see if I needed anything from the store, had any garbage to be taken out, or anything moved from the laundry room back to the second floor. I was very grateful for his offer to help, and I think we both looked forward to his visits, often chatting about school, sports, and his activities. His visits always made me feel better, and I think he enjoyed them, too. In another instance, after another surgery which left me housebound, I had a visit from a Minister of Care to receive Communion at home; it was a wonderful experience and paved the way for a new friendship. I am so grateful that these two people came into my life at a time when I may not have even realized I needed them. So, after being on the receiving end, how do I go about giving back? 

Is someone you know depressed? Lost their job? Lost a loved one? Spending time with friends, neighbors and family, and really listening to them, not offering advice or judgment, can be very healing, for both the listener and the speaker. It doesn’t have to be a scheduled visit, or involve a lot of time, but is another way to carry out this Corporal Act of Mercy. Can you visit at a nursing home? If not, can you make an audio book, read a book aloud to record for a nursing home? It’s wonderful to be able to hear a book read when your eyes can no longer focus on the written page. 

How about donating blood? Or helping at a Blood Drive? So many people are helped by a blood or platelet donation, and the time involved is minimal. 

Do you know someone with a new baby, perhaps feeling an overload of work with other children, or maybe someone undergoing a debilitating treatment for cancer or another serious illness? Can you provide a few meals or make a double batch of soup to help lighten their load, or perhaps offer to take on some caretaking or grocery shopping? Another way to Visit the Sick. 

I have recently become a Minister of Care, and have had some truly moving experiences, both in the hospital and outside. 

I visit my 97 year old aunt as often as I can, and we share Communion. She is a smart, articulate woman who is a pleasure to visit, but our visits have deepened our relationship and added a new layer of awareness to my impressions of her. She enjoys our time together, but no more than I do; politics, theology, the direction of the Church – nothing is off the table when we talk! She is very grateful for these visits, and I am, too.

Visiting the sick in the hospital is a wonderful, emotional experience. Visitors and family, if present, are so pleased for the visit to their loved one. At times, a patient is too ill to receive Communion, and prayers are offered. The presence of the Lord is palpable, and comforting, even in visits with the very ill. I was fortunate to be at the hospital on a day a friend was there receiving T-cells for advanced cancer. Although married to a Catholic, he had just been baptized as a Catholic a few weeks previously. It was a very emotional visit with him and his wife, who was there for his transfusion. They have a 3 ½ year old daughter, and his cancer is quite aggressive. What an honor it was to give Communion to him and his wife! We prayed for God to give both of them strength. 

You may not be able to visit the sick in the hospital, or volunteer at a retirement home, but surely there are people you know who are ill – physically as well as emotionally – who would truly appreciate your listening ear, your compassion, just your presence. In this Year of Mercy, please do consider the many ways to Visit the Sick. 

Sue Flood
Sue Flood has been a member of Holy Name Cathedral for nearly 5 years. She has served on the Parish Life Commission, and is an EMHC. She recently became a Minister of Care

Share your thoughts below or on social media, tagging Holy Name Cathedral and using #SeasonOfMercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment