Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Calm

A couple years ago when I was still living in Michigan, I went to the Detroit Institute of Art to see their exhibit on Rembrandt and the Face of Jesus. It was a wonderful exhibit.

Rembrandt changed how he portrayed Jesus by finding models for his work among the Dutch Jewish community.

Rembrandt’s Jesus is a calming one for me. So often we have portrayals of Jesus on the cross which are powerful and evocative images. Or there are images of Jesus standing tall, teaching and healing. Rembrandt shows a Jesus more at rest.

He seems to be sitting there, listening as if in conversation with someone he cares deeply about who is sharing their innermost thoughts. His calmness and gentleness are present. I feel like he is just about to turn and ask me for my thoughts, my feelings, my innermost self.

There are big days when we encounter Jesus on the cross or Jesus the healer. There are days when Christ’s majesty and salvation wash over me.

However, most days, I seek this Jesus - the calm, gentle presence of God. Of course, this Jesus is easy to lose among the noise and chaos of daily life. Thus, I find myself turning to this painting. My soul quiets a bit, the tension in my shoulders relax, and I just might be a bit more open to the gentle presence of God.



No comments:

Post a Comment