Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

December 20 -Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Advent

She was greatly troubled


Each Hail Mary we say begins with the greeting from Angel Gabriel to Mary at the Annunciation that causes her to feel “greatly troubled at what was said.” We say it easily, often mindlessly, but not until thinking about this reflection have I considered that Gabriel’s greeting caused our beloved Momma distress, concern, and confusion. And now that I think about it, this may be my new favorite line from this familiar scripture reading. Why? Because it makes Mary so human, so real, so relatable.

Following God’s call is hard. I fight almost every nudge, every call, usually kicking and screaming. I do not like the idea of my safe comfortable life being shaken up. What if I’m not good enough for what God is asking of me? What if it’s hard? What if I make a fool of myself? What if I disappoint someone else? What if I fail? Gulp, greatly troubling. 

But Gabriel eased her mind. Nowhere in this reading does he tell our beloved Momma that her life is going to be easy, comfortable, or safe. But he does seem to tell her to have faith that God’s got her back. “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God.” And she trusted Gabriel; she listened and responded that she was all in. “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord. May it be done to me according to your word.”

What would happen if the next time we are troubled by a nudge or calling from God, we take comfort remembering that Mary was also greatly troubled but God’s call? Could we follow her example by asking Gabriel what it means and trust that God’s got our backs? Could we, too, respond that we are all in?

Courtney Sanger
Year of Mercy Pilgrimage Participant

If the idea of a pilgrimage appeals, consider joining Fr. Brad Zamora and Jennifer Delvaux on pilgrimage to Lourdes, Spain, and Fatima this summer. Details can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment