Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Thursday, March 16, 2017

People Pleasing

The following is a reflection from one of our Young Adult Board members. It offers an unusual Lenten sacrifice that helps us to see the difference between artificial love and manifesting the love of God. If we focus solely on 'people pleasing' we do not focus on the true needs and humanity of the other, just the other's surface level response.

Lent is about self sacrificing a need to draw closer to God. I decided to give up being a “people pleaser” for the season of Lent. This habit was distracting me from drawing closer to God. By giving up pleasing people I will be able to develop a stronger relationship with God and his son Jesus Christ. Tartakovsky (2016) People-pleasers “want everyone around them to be happy and they will do whatever is asked of them to” keep it that way. The reason why I was people pleasing because I wanted my friends and relatives to like me, and I wanted them to be happy even at the expense of my own happiness. By giving “up” people pleasing I will be able to develop a greater sense of self-confidence and a love for God by staying in his presence through daily devotionals, reading scripture, and meeting with other church members to discuss God’s goodness and how his Grace and Mercy has been displayed in our lives.

Heather B. Duke
Young Adult Member



No comments:

Post a Comment