Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Books for Coffee

For Lent I wanted to give up coffee, but reality set in. Thus I decided that I could give up coffee in the Coffee Shop that cost $5 a cup and instead make instant bright and early. (I remember going abroad and thinking I was going to get a marvelous cup of coffee and I got instant!) I am not fond of instant but this is Lent; so for my penance I will drink instant for 40 days. With the money I’ll save  I will purchase a book for another (almsgiving). The book is called Before the Living God by Ruth Burrows, OCD. 

Since I'll be saving those $5 per cup of coffee, it means the book will cost me three cups of coffee. In less than a week I will be able to share this book with others.

Before the Living God is about a wonderful woman who is a Carmelite nun in England. It shares the story of her life from her childhood to adulthood. Her ordinariness is one that captures Christ as the essence of life. She relates her joy and struggle in putting Christ first. It is about those ordinary moments in life and how they are dealt with by deepening her relationship with Christ and her ‘neighbors’. On page 100 she states: “What God wants from us above all is trust, that trust which is our profoundest homage to Him. He want us to believe utterly in His will to load us with blessings.” Take a few minutes to prayerfully reflect on her words.

No comments:

Post a Comment