Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Bear Wrong Patiently


“Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love of the brethren, a tender heart and a humble mind. Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing.” (1 Peter 3:8–9)

I must admit that this has been challenging for me to write because I do not bear wrongs patiently. When I was younger, I was a doormat – now that I’m older I’m the opposite. I’ve gone from one extreme to the other.

So, I did a little research to see what others have written about“Bearing wrongs patiently” and it was very enlightening – something I think the Lord needed me to see “Do not return evil for evil” hit me like a ton of bricks. In many ways I’m ashamed to say that is what I do.

How can I change that? How can I become a version of myself that shows the God in me? 

“Bear” according to Dictionary.com means; to hold up; support: to hold or remain firm . . .

As human beings we all have flaws, as Christians it is incumbent upon us to love the flaws as well as the goodness inside someone. So, when someone does something that offends me, hurts me, saddens me I should absolutely address the situation but still have love in my heart. Because I’m sure that I have wronged someone as well and I would want forgiveness. I would want to be given another chance to show my better self. Shouldn’t we do that for each other? After all we are to treat people the way we want to be treated – not just sometimes but all of the time. I have been humbled by this exercise and know that I have work to do. I have to learn to be a more accepting person. 

Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.” (Matthew 18:21–22) That’s what we have been tasked with straight from our Lord. I’ll keep trying!

By Michelle Peltier
Liturgy & Ministries Associate and long time parishioner of Holy Name Cathedral.

Share your thoughts below or on social media, tagging Holy Name Cathedral and using #SeasonOfMercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment