Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Sunday, February 28, 2016

February 28 - Third Sunday of Lent

Repent for the Lord is Kind and Merciful

We are always asked to acknowledge our sins particularly in the season of Lent. In today’s Gospel, Jesus urges with us to repent otherwise we will perish. Acknowledgment of our sins and repentance is a key to our salvation. But “repent or perish” seem so harsh as the choices are so stark and foreboding. There seems no wiggle room. Tough love as one could say. 

But the parable of the fig tree gives me hope that the choice isn’t as stark as I thought and that God is merciful. In this parable, I can see that, though I am the barren fig tree, God wants to nurture and care for me, so that I will become the person I am meant to be. God, as our gardener, sees my potential and doesn’t give up me. He gives me the nutrients I need; he may prune my branches to help me become bigger and stronger. By responding to His patience and mercy, I can change and become the best version of myself.

In this season of Lent and Year of Mercy, how have we turned to God? How have we asked Him to nurture and cultivate us to be like the great fig trees?

Anonymous



No comments:

Post a Comment