Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

December 30 - The Sixth Day in the Octave of Christmas

The Secrets of Eternal Life

In this passage (from 1 John), St. John speaks to the followers of Christ reminding them of the reason they are dear to him and why they have a special place. God’s love is extended to all of his children and creatures, but to those who are willing to recognize him as their father and accept his forgiveness he gives the secrets of eternal life.

Today I was troubled by something in life and was blessed with a message that Jesus shares with his disciples in the gospel according to John, chapter 14, verses 1-4:

“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself, that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.”

In today’s text, St. John is echoing this message and sentiment of the Lord: You are accepting this path of eternal life that I am revealing, and thus you will not perish with the temporal things of this world. As the weight of anxiety to gain or keep the things of this world troubles us, we can take strength in the reassurance of both St. John and Jesus Christ. Even the dearest of worldly things is not meant to last; but, there is an eternal place to which we are headed, and that will never be lost to us. Rather, it is yet to be gained.

With the holiday season upon us, what are some anxieties weighing upon our hearts that we can relinquish with confidence by the strength of these words? Perhaps there are even added anxieties arising due to the nature of the holidays in our culture. Let’s make an extra effort this year to accept this message and focus on what will bring us peace in the wake of our celebration of the birth of he who wishes to save us from all anxiety.

Peace be with you, and Happy New Year!
Reflection by Aaron Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment