Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Monday, January 9, 2017

January 9 - Baptism of the Lord

Humility and Obedience

John the Baptist asked Jesus, “I need to be baptized by you, and yet you are coming to me?" Jesus answered, “Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Today’s gospel reading reflects the humility and obedience exhibited by both the messenger and the Messiah. Jesus, the son of God identified himself among sinners by joining other penitents and asking to be baptized by John. He humbled himself to fulfill His father’s divine plan. 

Unlike Jesus, conducting ourselves with humility and obedience can be easier said than done. Sometimes it is difficult identifying ourselves, the way Jesus did with others who do not share our opinions or principles. How many of us have disregarded rules and refused to conform because we thought we were right? Christ-like humility and obedience can sometimes be challenging in our ever evolving society. How do we emerge like Jesus amongst secularism and unorthodox ideals? How do we carry out God’s mission with humility and obedience?

As I reflect on today’s gospel I ask myself, what does Jesus’ baptism reveal in my life now? The answer unfolds through contemplation of my own baptism. Jesus’ baptism marked the beginning of His ministry; my baptism was also a beginning, the foundation of my early Christian life. I have received the grace of God and I belong to Jesus. Interestingly, further introspection led me back to the man who baptized me, the Servant of God Archbishop Teofilo Camomot, whom I now pray for his beatification. I remember a man who embodied Christ-like humility. His life and legacy was built on love, benevolence, dedication and obedience to God, our Father. Consequently, I am seeing in a new light my commitment to serve God. I pray and with the intercession of the selfless man who marked me with the seal of the Lord, I am able to fulfill my duties and obligations to God’s mission. Guided by my faith and love for Jesus Christ, I will persevere and continue building on the grace I have received through baptism, faithfully and obediently.

What about you, what does Jesus’ baptism reveal in your life now?

Toreend Enecio
Parish Pastoral Council

No comments:

Post a Comment