Social Media Icons

Urban Impressions of the Stations of the Cross

Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14 - Memorial of St. John of the Cross

Picking a Side

This Gospel annoys me at first. Like most things that annoy me, I quickly realize it is because it hits close to home. I want that straight forward answer from God. I want the neon sign making it easier to have faith, easier to know what I am to do with my life, easier to be a disciple. Yet, I know that I do not always make it clear to others that I have this Catholic faith, that I believe I have a calling in life, that I am trying to live as a disciple. When things are uncomfortable, or I'm just too tired to deal with the issue, or I would rather be a bit selfish it is tempting to hide that faith, that call, that role of disciple. It is tempting to blend passively into the background instead of boldly declaring who I am and Whose I am. 

In today's Gospel Jesus is basically saying we have to pick a side. We have to say what we believe and to live that belief out in our daily lives.

What people and circumstances make it difficult for you to boldly live as a disciple?

What is one way you can more fully live as a disciple today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment